The 30 Best books on cryptocurrency – Learn from the pros
The blockchain sphere used to be a reserved circle for technology enthusiasts or experienced traders and investors that discerned an early opportunity for profit. But since its conception, much has changed – Amazingly detailed videos and some of the best books on cryptocurrency are now available to everyone who wishes to learn.
We were all novices once, and trying to find relevant information about Bitcoin, Blockchain or Cryptocurrency Trading used to be difficult. But that is no longer a problem.
In this article, we’ve compiled this list of books in three pertinent categories that will help you understand and learn about Bitcoin – the money of tomorrow:
Understanding the technology behind Bitcoin
What exactly is Bitcoin, what is its purpose and how does it work? The following books will give you a better understanding of the most popular digital currency.
Mastering Bitcoin – Unlocking Digital Cryptocurrencies – Andreas M. Antonopoulos
Even though it might seem complicated at times, Antonopoulos’ book on Bitcoin is one of the best reads you will ever encounter on the subject. The author is a passionate technologist, who is well-versed in many technical subjects. Mastering Bitcoin will guide you through the social, technological and economic facets of Bitcoin. Whether you are someone just starting their Bitcoin adventure or a blockchain veteran, this book will be an eye-opener regardless of your experience.
2. The Bitcoin Standard – Saifedean Ammous
The Bitcoin Standard traces the story of money since its prehistorical beginnings, written by a true Bitcoin maximalist. The author’s opinion is that just like gold’s journey until now, the unique properties of cryptocurrencies make them a stable and immutable asset. This book explores the advantages of Bitcoin versus the more traditional assets.
3. The Internet of Money (2 volumes) – Andreas M. Antonopoulos
As a prolific cryptocurrency expert and author, Antonopoulos strikes again with a well-written piece that covers a lot more than just the basics of Bitcoin and the future of money. In 2 volumes, he thoroughly explores the possibilities of the original cryptocurrency and how it can advance society and world economics altogether.
4. Digital Gold – Nathaniel Popper
Digital Gold covers the possibilities of why Bitcoin might be the greatest store of value that the world has ever known. A well-written book that covers the technology that will ultimately transform both finance and how we use the internet. Other relevant topics like the Silk Road saga and the Mt’ Gox Hack are discussed as well, making this a great read exploring the past, present, and future of Bitcoin.
5. Inventing Bitcoin – The Technology Behind the First Truly Scarce and Decentralized Money Explained – Yan Pritzker
Written in layman’s terms, Inventing Bitcoin will introduce you to the technology behind Bitcoin, its history, advantages, and shortcomings. The book contains only objective facts, which will help you learn what Bitcoin is and why you should know more about it.
6. Bitcoin Billionaires – A True Story of Genius, Betrayal, and Redemption – Ben Mezrich
From Ben Mezrich, the author of The Accidental Billionaires, which was made into the movie The Social Network, comes the story of the Winklevoss brothers. This book covers their endeavors after the Zuckerberg story. In great writing style and full of unheard stories, you will discover how the twins became the first Bitcoin Billionaires in 2017.
7. The Little Bitcoin Book: Why Bitcoin Matters for Your Freedom, Finances, and Future – Various Authors
Ever wondered what to say to anyone asking you what Bitcoin is? The Little Bitcoin Book is the perfect pocket companion that covers all the basics of Bitcoin. An excellent introduction for beginners, but also a great go-to manual for anyone trying to introduce their friends and family to cryptocurrencies.
8. American Kingpin: The Epic Hunt for the Criminal Mastermind Behind the Silk Road – Nick Bilton
This cryptocurrency book describes the fascinating story behind the dark web marketplace “Silk Road” and the man behind it – Ross Ulbricht. Silk Road was the first large scale application of Bitcoin where drugs, guns and other black-market goods and services were exchanged for Bitcoin.
9. The Book Of Satoshi: The Collected Writings of Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakamoto – Phil Champagne
In this collection of writings, emails and forum posts you will get closer to the genius that was the anonymous Bitcoin creator – Satoshi Nakamoto. You can learn about his dreams and ideas through his communications with the world until his late disappearance in 2011.
10. The Scandal of Money: Why Wall Street Recovers but the Economy Never Does – George Gilder
The author analyses our financial system, the bias towards the wealthy and their ability to manipulate it. The book explores how Bitcoin can help us build a better and more sustainable economic system through its technology. It will help you understand the problems Bitcoin and in general, cryptocurrencies, are trying to solve.
11. How Money Got Free: Bitcoin and the Fight for the Future of Finance – Brian Patrick Eha
Partick Eha goes into the reasons why Bitcoin got ignored by the big money firms but slowly got their attention. A compelling read about the people that care about monetary value and how Bitcoin changed their vision.
12. The Basics of Bitcoins and Blockchains: An Introduction to Cryptocurrencies and the Technology that Powers Them – Antony Lewis
To get a clean transition into our next category, we present you a book that explains the basics of Bitcoin but also introduces you to the technology behind it. There’s a lot more behind Bitcoin than just a digital currency. This book marries both facets: the value and the technology that created it.
Alternative Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain books
Learn more about Altcoins and how the Blockchain works, by reading the books outlined bellow.
13. Blockchain: Blueprint for a New Economy – Melanie Swan
An introduction to Blockchain that covers real-life use cases, but also theoretical ones that are just a glimpse in the future. A good read for anyone that wants to discover the potentials of this new technology.
14. The Business Blockchain – William Mougayar
A good in-depth analysis of how Blockchain can and already is implemented in businesses. The author predicts a future where intertwined blockchains will rule our economics and how the system will redefine the power of governance.
15. Life After Google: The Fall of Big Data and the Rise of the Blockchain Economy – George Gilder
Maybe one of the most enthralling reads on our list. Gilder touches upon big data companies that handle our personal data and how they might be abusing them. At the same time, he explores the Blockchain economy and how it could bring Google’s ruling age to an end. And while not directly related to Bitcoin and it’s peers, this book certainly makes the list as one of the best books on cryptocurrency.
16. Mastering Ethereum – Andreas M. Antonopoulos
Third entrance on our list from Mr. Antonopoulos, this book explains the ins and outs of the second-biggest cryptocurrency: Ethereum. The author explains its differences compared to Bitcoin, but more importantly, goes in-depth on why Ethereum should be considered as an important asset as well.
17. Cryptoassets: The Innovative Investor’s Guide to Bitcoin and Beyond – Chris Burniske & Jack Tatar
This book covers alternate cryptocurrencies and the reason behind their conception. The reason we believe this book to be one of the best books on cryptocurrency trading is simple. It explores cryptocurrencies’ relevance and value from an investor’s point of view.
18. Libra Coin Revolution – Alan J. Crypto, Stephen K. Wallet
An in-depth insight into Facebook’s cryptocurrency – Libra. It covers the pros and cons of the technology behind it but more importantly the impact it might have on the whole crypto ecosystem.
19. Blockchain Bubble or Revolution: The Present and Future of Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies – Neel Mehta, Aditya Agashe, Parth Detroja
Bubble or Revolution covers both sides of the matter. Whether you are a supporter or detractor of the technology, this book has an excellent argument for both sides and offers well-researched insight on the future of Blockchain.
20. Blockchain Basics: A Non-Technical Introduction in 25 Steps – Daniel Drescher
A must-read for every tech enthusiast, this popular book introduces you to the basics of Blockchain technology in 25 easy-to-follow steps.
21. The Truth Machine: The Blockchain and the Future of Everything – Paul Vigna, Michael J. Casey
The Truth Machine is a subtle and thorough look at what Blockchain is and what we might reasonably expect it to accomplish. The authors describe both the theory and practice of the upcoming technological revolution.
If you are more interested to reap the benefits of crypto trading, the following are the best books on cryptocurrency trading.
22. Cryptocurrency Investing Bible – Alan T. Norman
This book is an excellent starting point for newcomers to the cryptocurrency space, and the author does an excellent job at breaking down even the most complex concepts into easy to understand terms. Norman lays out the basics of cryptocurrency buying, selling and profiting from the process in a language that anyone can understand.
23. Cryptotrading Pro: Trade for a Living with Time-tested Strategies, Tools and Risk Management Techniques – Alan T. Norman
A lot more specific than his “Bible”, Norman’s take on cryptocurrency trading is one of the best on the market. As one of the best books on cryptocurrency, this one offers more than just the basics. It will not only introduce you to Bitcoin trading but help you perfect it as well.
24. How to Day Trade for a Living: A Beginner’s Guide to Trading Tools and Tactics, Money Management, Discipline, and Trading Psychology – Andrew Aziz
Aziz introduces us to one of the few careers that brings income with a combination of freedom and flexibility. Through an analysis of past mistakes and comprehensive coverage of the right strategies to employ, you will come out with a better trader after reading this book.
25. Cryptocurrency Trading & Investing: Beginners Guide To Trading & Investing In Bitcoin, Alt Coins & ICOs – Aimee Vo
One of the best books on cryptocurrency, Aimee Vo’s guide is a great introduction to the subject of trading. This book covers the basics of trading and how to make a profit from investing in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
26. An Altcoin Trader’s Handbook – Nik Patel
In this book, Patel shows how personal experiences and principles can help you profit from cryptocurrencies. Half memoir, half manual, it’s a great book to have on one’s desk for quick referrals.
27. Investing for Beginners: A Step by Step Guide to Start Investing – Stock Market, Forex Trading, Futures, ETFS and Cryptocurrency: The Ultimate Guide to Getting Started – Carl Hitoshi
This is the ultimate beginners’ guide for any aspiring trader. It goes through the basics of investing in stocks and bonds, which translates well for cryptocurrencies in general
28. Charting and Technical Analysis – Fred Mcallen
For anyone that wants to deepen their understanding of technical analysis, look no further. This book will help you understand trading on a superior level by helping you read the charts in order to predict market movements
29. Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques – Steve Nison
It might sound like something from a martial arts movie, but Japanese candlestick patterns are the most commonly used form of technical analysis in cryptocurrency trading. A lot of successful traders praise this book as being the only one they ever needed to learn cryptocurrency market movements.
30. The Art and Science of Technical Analysis: Market Structure, Price Action, and Trading Strategies – Adam Grimes
One of the most thorough books on trading and the science behind it. Grimes lays out a focused and personal view of what works in markets, providing a complete methodology for analyzing price action.
Hopefully, this list will help you find something to your taste. Our selection ranges from basic and beginner literature to advanced trading strategies and techniques. There’s something for everyone here and even a total beginner could become quite knowledgeable about Bitcoin, Blockchain, and trading by reading even a couple of these books.