Tron (TRX) is a cryptocurrency that can often be seen flirting with the top 10 coins by market cap.
In this article, we will talk about the best Tron wallet, how they work and what you need to consider when choosing one for yourself.
Before we dig in, let’s first explain what a Tron (TRX) wallet is and how it works.
What is a Tron wallet?
A Tron wallet is a specialized software that allows you to access and use your TRX.
You see, your TRX tokens are digitally stored on the Tron Blockchain, and your wallet acts as the “access point” that helps you send or receive TRX whenever you want to.
Let’s explore the principles on which these cryptocurrency wallets function.
How does the best Tron wallet work?
A Tron wallet, like most crypto wallets, is comprised of two codes. One that allows you to access and send your tokens on the network and one to request and receive payments.
More specifically, these codes are known as your wallet’s keys:
- The Private Key (64 characters) – This key is what allows you to spend your coins. It’s imperative you keep it in a safe place. If you lose it, it will be very difficult, if not impossible to recover your wallet and its contents.
- The Public Address (34 characters) – This is where you will be receiving your TRX. Whenever another member of the Tron network wants to send you TRX tokens, you will be sharing this address with them.
One of the main goals of cryptocurrencies is to allow people to become their own banks. This gives users total freedom over their finances and, thus, a complete separation between state and money. However, this means that you are responsible for the security and safety of your coins.
And that’s why a good cryptocurrency wallet is crucial.
How to choose the best Tron Wallet?
Let’s check the five major categories of Tron wallet and their different usages.
- Mobile wallets – users that need frequent access to their cryptocurrency wallets often chose mobile wallets. These user-friendly apps are installed on your smartphone and allow you to carry your crypto anywhere. Just make sure you backup your keys in case you lose your phone.
- Online wallets – you can access these wallets through a web browser. They are the most convenient to use but are considered as the least secure because of their always-online nature.
- Desktop wallets – these wallets store the keys on your computer. After installing specialized software on your system, your private keys are encrypted on your machine. They are safer than online wallets, and convenient for people using their PCs to make transactions.
- Paper wallets – these are pieces of paper that contain your keys. Due to their tangible nature, they offer excellent security by storing your funds in cold storage.
- Hardware wallets – these are devices engineered for the specific purpose of keeping your crypto safe. They provide the highest level of security paired with numerous features.
So, which is the best Tron wallet? Let’s check them one by one, depending on their category.
1. Best Tron Mobile Wallet – Enjin Wallet
Number of supported coins: BTC, LTC, ETH, TRX, and all ERC20 tokens
Mobile OS: Android and iOS
This mobile wallet supports many popular cryptocurrencies and all of the ERC 20 tokens.
Additionally, while not directly related to Tron (TRX), this wallet has a unique feature. What makes it stand out is its support of gaming tokens that are created on the Enjin Blockchain. You can store items that are created in-game and sell them directly through the wallet.
Apart from that, there are more reasons to consider using this wallet.
Why should you use the Enjin wallet?
- Beginner-friendly – its simple user interface is easy to navigate and even advanced features like integrated exchanges are easy to use by beginners.
- Exchanges integration – you can swap your coins within the wallet though Changelly and Kyber Network integration.
- Unlimited number of wallets – you can create as many different wallets as you like, allowing you to split your TRX and organize them to your liking.
How to set up your Enjin wallet
The following video goes through the process of setting up your Enjin wallet:
2. Best Tron Web Wallet – Tronscan
Number of supported coins:1
Access: Web (+Ledger integration)
Mobile OS: N/A
This is the official web wallet of the Tron network and acts as an explorer of the Tron Blockchain.
Great for storing and sending TRX, you can also use the wallet to get rewards in TRX by staking your tokens and voting for Super Representatives on the Tron Blockchain.
As it is a web wallet, you will need to take the necessary precautions of safeguarding your keys. A good tip is to keep it in your bookmarks and access it only from there, to avoid phishing copycat sites. Also, consider adding additional security measures, such as SMS/Email authentication.
Why you should consider Tronscan
- Easy Setup – The process of opening an account and getting a wallet is as simple as it gets. The user interface is clean and all pertinent information is available at a glance.
- Ledger Integration -Tronscan is supported by Ledger hardware wallets. You can log in through your device, making this wallet as secure as it gets.
- Freeze coins and vote – through the wallet, you can access the voting mechanic of the Tron Blockchain, which allows you to gain passive income by freezing your TRX.
- Explore the Tron blockchain – the wallet interface shows the transactions that happen on the Tron network.
How to set up your Tronscan wallet
Check out this short video to get your wallet up and running in 3 minutes.
3. Best Desktop Tron Wallet – Atomic Wallet
Number of supported coins: 300+
Access: Desktop, Mobile
Mobile OS: Android and iOS (beta)
Atomic is a non-custodial wallet that can store more than 300 cryptocurrencies, including TRX. It’s focused on security and decentralization, and it’s easy to see why.
By integrating Atomic Swaps, users can exchange a small number of supported tokens instantly and free of charge.
For the coins that aren’t supported by Atomic Swaps, the wallet introduces decentralized cryptocurrency exchanges in its interface. This way, you can buy and sell your crypto without leaving the secure environment of your wallet.
Why you should consider using Atomic Wallet?
- Great security – your keys are created using a 12-word seed phrase and encrypted directly on your machine. They are never sent out online, minimizing their exposure to hackers.
- Atomic Swap support – you can swap the supported coins without going through an exchange or paying any fee for the service. For non-supported coins, you can use Changelly or ShapeShift, which are both accessible through the app itself.
- Good support and resources hub – Atomic has an extensive FAQ and Knowledge base. Additionally, their live chat integration is responsive and helpful.
How to set up your Atomic Wallet
The following video goes through the process of setting up your Atomic Wallet.
4. Best Hardware Tron Wallet – Ledger Nano S
Number of supported coins: 1250+
Access: Ledger Nano S device
When there’s no room for compromise on security, hardware wallets are hard to beat. They provide the best security/convenience ratio when compared to other crypto wallets on the market.
The Nano S has sold more than a million units worldwide, making it the most popular hardware wallet out there.
Why you should consider buying a Ledger Nano S?
- Highest security standards -Thanks to the combination of their custom operating system (BOLOS) and their state-of-the-art hardware, the Ledger wallets offer some of the best cryptographic security. Even if you lose your device, chances are no one will be able to crack it.
- Great Portability – the size of the Ledger makes it portable and convenient for travel or daily usage.
- Always offline – your keys are kept on the device and are never shared on the internet, eliminating the chances of a malicious cyber-attacks.
- Decent Entry price – the $60 dollars it costs are certainly justified given the high level of security and accessibility it provides.
Setting up your Ledger Nano-S for the first time
The following tutorial video goes through the process of setting up your Ledger wallet:
5. Best paper Tron wallet – Tron Paper Wallet
Number of supported coins: 1
Paper wallets help you store your TRX offline at no cost. The process consists of generating the public and private keys and printing them on a piece of paper. Then, this paper has to be stored in a safe place until you are ready to use your funds.
It’s important to remember that when you choose to use the funds in your TRX paper wallet, you will need to withdraw all of them in one transaction. While this poses a serious drawback for some, paper wallets also have several advantages, which will be described below.
Why you should consider a paper wallet for your TRX?
- Cold storage – Paper wallets don’t allow partial spending of your coins. You can safely stash them in a secret location and hold on to them for the long term.
- High Security – As they are disconnected from the web, they can’t be hacked.
- Budget option – Paper wallets offer the same security of hardware wallets at no cost. This makes them an excellent choice if you can’t afford a hardware wallet.
How to Create your Tron wallet
Step 1: Visit the webpage and click on “Generate Address”.
Step 2: Print the wallet using the “Print” button. That’s it!
Other Great Tron Wallets
7. Ledger Nano X – A more expensive version of the Nano S, the Nano X includes additional features like a larger battery, more memory, and Bluetooth access. This allows users to use it for extensive periods, install more apps and connect to it wirelessly.
8. Jaxx – a multi-platform wallet that allows the pairing of different devices to the same wallet. It has a slick user interface which makes it really accessible for beginners.
9. Tronblocks – the official mobile wallet of the Tron network. Similar to Tronscan, it allows users to interact with the Tron network and freeze their tokens for staking and voting.
10. Eidoo – this multi-platform offers support for nearly 500 cryptocurrencies, is user-friendly and gives you full control of your private keys.
11. TrustWallet – the official wallet of the Binance exchange, trust wallet allows users to store BTC. ETH, TRX and all ERC-20 tokens. It’s seamlessly integrated into Binance’s decentralized exchange allowing for instant trades of supported currencies.
12. Guarda Wallet – Guarda is a multi-platform wallet that allows individuals to send, store, receive and exchange a large number of digital assets while protecting their TRX coins. Additionally, it’s integrated with Ledger, meaning you can use Guarda’s intuitive interface with additional security from the Ledger hardware wallets.
Wrapping it up
That’s our selection of the best Tron wallets on the market. Let’s take a look at all the entries per category before we reveal our winner:
- Mobile wallet – Enjin wallet
- Web wallet – Tronscan
- Desktop Wallet – Atomic Wallet
- Hardware Wallet – Ledger Nano S
- Paper wallet – Tron Paper Wallet
If we were to choose one of these, we would certainly go with Ledger Nano S. Hardware wallets provide the best security and user experience, and Ledger integrates Tron’s application. As such, you can log on to your Tronscan account using an additional level of security.
If you are on a budget, Atomic Wallet is a great free option that provides support of more than 300 cryptocurrencies and above-average security on its desktop version.
– FAQ Section –
Do you still have questions regarding Tron wallets and the way they work? We have compiled a shortlist with the most frequently asked questions and answers.
What is a Tron wallet address?
A Tron wallet address, also known as a public key, is where you receive your TRX tokens. It’s this address that you will be sharing when buying or receiving crypto on your wallet.
What is a Tron private key?
The private key is a code comprised of 64 hexadecimal characters ranging from 0-9 and A-F. It allows you to access and spend your TRX. Anyone with access to this key can spend your TRX, so it goes without saying that you should keep it safe at all times.
What is a seed phrase?
In order to create the private key and the public address, some wallets use a sequence of 12-20 words, called a seed phrase. This sequence will be needed in case you want to recover the contents of your wallet, so always write it down on a piece of paper.
What is the safest way to store my Tron?
Hardware wallets are the most secure way of storing cryptocurrencies. For serious TRX holders, the Ledger Nano S ($65 for one device) offers the best value and accessibility.
What type of wallet should I use if I’m using TRX daily?
Make sure you take all precautions when handling online wallets, as they are the most targeted wallet type by cybercriminals.
What is TRX freezing?
The Tron Blockchain allows you to stake your coins by voting for different super representatives and gain passive income through this process. Both Tron official wallets, Tronscan and Tronblocks allow you to freeze TRX in your wallet so you can stake them for profits.