Most of us got into cryptocurrency by hearing a friend of a prominent figure praising its potential. In time, the world started to take notice, and crypto got bigger, involving more and more people.
Today, there are many industry-experts and popular individuals that are known for their cryptocurrency quotes. Some of these were the cause of a large price-spike. Others caused us to think.
The goal of this article is not to tell you whether Bitcoin and other cryptos are worth investing it. Instead, we want to help you get a better idea of where we currently stand and how much potential still lies ahead.
So go ahead, read the quotes, learn more about their authors, and decide for yourself if you can relate with the message they offer.
Best Cryptocurrency Quotes
Here is our list with the 70 best cryptocurrency quotes we discovered on the web.
1. If you don’t believe it or don’t get it, I don’t have the time to try to convince you, sorry.
– Satoshi Nakamoto
This is one of the earliest Bitcoin quotes in existence. The founder of Bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto, saw before everyone else what Bitcoin was capable of. In those early days, however, not many could imagine the potential of this new currency. Today, his invention has completely changed the world and it’s safe to assume that those early doubters should have done more research.
2. I see Bitcoin as ultimately becoming a reserve currency for banks, playing much the same role as gold did in the early days of banking. Banks could issue digital cash with greater anonymity and lighter weight, more efficient transactions.
– Hal Finney
One more early-day quote from Hal Finney shows that he had a good understanding of Bitcoin’s potential. He was also one of the early members of the Cryptography mailing list, whereby the potential of virtual currencies and privacy concerns were a topic of many discussions.
3. Any time a country transitioned to a fiat currency, they collapsed. That’s just world history; you don’t have to know about cryptocurrency to know that.
– Nipsey Hussle
Nipsey Hussle was a worldwide known rapper, entrepreneur and community activist. He was well known for his deep thoughts, which he regularly shared with his followers on Twitter. Sadly, Hussle passed away in 2019.
4. If the cryptocurrency market overall or a digital asset is solving a problem, it’s going to drive some value.
– Brad Garlinghouse
Brad Garlinghouse is a well-known figure in the crypto industry. He is the CEO of Ripple, the company behind XRP. In his occasional tweets, he often addresses the skeptics that seem to be in disbelief about the future of cryptocurrency.
5. Whenever the price of cryptocurrency is rallying, people start spending a lot more.
– Erik Voorhees
Eric is the founder of Shapeshift, one of the most popular cryptocurrency trading platforms. On his Twitter channel, he is often writing about Bitcoin and has many noteworthy quotes to be included in this post. This one, however, sums up what we know as “positive market sentiment”. He is trying to illustrate how, when an asset as volatile as a cryptocurrency increases in value rapidly, people tend to get unrealistic expectations. This increases the coins’ scarcity as more people want to own some.
6. We are seeing more managed money and, to an extent, institutional money entering the [crypto] space. Anecdotally speaking, I know of many people who are working at hedge funds or other investment managers who are trading cryptocurrency personally, the question is, when do people start doing it with their firms and funds?
– Olaf Carlson-Wee
In a previous article, we mentioned how Bitcoin’s price is expected to increase 10-fold (at least) with the increase of mainstream adoption. Olaf Carlson-Wee, former Head of Risk at Coinbase, write his college thesis on Bitcoin and put most of his savings in the popular cryptocurrency early on. In a well-put quote stimulates discussion in the cryptocurrency community.
7. I am very excited about the prospect of using cryptocurrency, not just as a money equivalent, but using it as a way to earn something as a result of doing some type of work.
– William Mougayar
William Mougayar is the author of “The Business Blockchain”. He makes a strong point illustrating how, the ability for anyone to undertake cryptocurrency mining, is one of its most exciting features.
8. What value does cryptocurrency add? No one’s been able to answer that question to me.
– Steve Eisman
Steve Eisman is a popular American businessman and investor. He is more widely known for the movie “The Big Short”, which depicts the true events of his life during the US housing bubble of 2007-2008. His tweet, which many consider as a memorable quote, acted as a provocation towards cryptocurrency supporters.
9. Bitcoin is here to stay. There would be a hacker uproar to anyone who attempted to take credit for the patent of cryptocurrency. And I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of hacker fury.
– Adam Draper
Adam Draper is the founder and CEO of Boost VC, a startup accelerator that funds cryptocurrency-related companies. He is currently involved with more than 100 Bitcoin startups and his portfolio keeps growing. We can only imagine that the following quote is somewhat directed towards Craig Wright.
10. I am very intrigued by Bitcoin. It has all the signs. Paradigm shift, hackers love it, yet it is described as a toy. Just like microcomputers.
– Paul Graham
Paul is a veteran programmer, venture capitalist, and creator of the Yahoo store. His quote makes readers think about the potential of cryptocurrency in the long term and whether the world is massively underestimating Bitcoin’s potential.
11. Blockchain is the tech. Bitcoin is merely the first mainstream manifestation of its potential.
– Marc Kenigsberg
Marc Keningsberg is more commonly known for his podcast “The Conversation”, where he talks about Blockchain and its use in everyday life. He is also the founder of BitcoinChasers.com. His quote puts everything into perspective. He separates the meaning and purpose of the Blockchain from Bitcoin and shows the world that we are still in a phase of technological infancy.
12. As the value goes up, heads start to swivel and skeptics begin to soften. Starting a new currency is easy, anyone can do it. The trick is getting people to accept it because it is their use that gives the “money” value.
– Adam B. Levine
Adam is the founder of Let’s Talk Bitcoin and the current CEO at Tokenly. His quote reminds us of how important public adoption really is when it comes to the value of a new currency. Essentially, he is trying to point out that people need to start spending and receiving Bitcoin in their daily life.
13. Bitcoin will do to banks what email did to the postal industry
– Rick Falkvinge
From all cryptocurrency quotes, this one is our absolute favorite. Rick Falkvinge, IT entrepreneur and founder of the Swedish Pirate Party, is confident that Bitcoin will completely change the way we use money.
14. Bitcoin is a technological tour de force.
– Bill Gates Bitcoin quote
Bill Gates needs no introduction. The father of all programming and founder of Microsoft, Bill spends most of his days pondering about the future of technology. The compliment towards Bitcoin got more people interested in the future potential of cryptocurrencies.
15. Well, I think it is working. There may be other currencies like it that may be even better. But in the meantime, there’s a big industry around Bitcoin— People have made fortunes off Bitcoin, some have lost money. It is volatile, but people make money off of volatility too.
– Richard Branson
Richard Branson is an English-born entrepreneur, investor, and philanthropist. He is the founder of the Virgin group, an organization that now controls more than 400 companies worldwide. He is currently pursuing the acquisition of BitPay, a Bitcoin-startup based in Atlanta. The quote mentioned above comes from an interview he gave to Bloomberg in 2014.
16. [Bitcoin] is a remarkable cryptographic achievement… The ability to create something which is not duplicable in the digital world has enormous value…Lot’s of people will build businesses on top of that.
– Eric Schmidt
Eric Schmit, executive chairman and former CEO of Google, is not exactly your typical Bitcoin maximalist. While not so certain about the future of the most popular cryptocurrency, he made sure to praise the technology behind it during his speech at the Computer History Museum.
17. PayPal had these goals of creating a new currency. We failed at that, and we just created a new payment system. I think Bitcoin has succeeded on the level of a new currency, but the payment system is somewhat lacking. It’s very hard to use, and that’s the big challenge on the Bitcoin side.
– Peter Thiel
Peter Thiel is the Co-founder of Paypal and author of the best-seller “Zero to One”. He has stated that Bitcoin is what Paypal attempted to create but still finds the cryptocurrency to be difficult to use. He believes that, for mainstream adoption to come, the payment system should become easier to use than its current form. In 2017, Peter’s “Founders Fund”, invested a massive $20 million dollars in Bitcoin, an amount which is now worth around $100 million.
18. Bitcoin actually has the balance and incentives center, and that is why it is starting to take off.
– Julian Assange
Wikileaks and Bitcoin go way back. In fact, Wikileaks may never have become as big as it is today without the help of Bitcoin. During its rise to fame, major banks and credit card companies blocked all payments to Wikileaks, which made it difficult for the organization to survive. Thankfully, the organization started accepting Bitcoin donations and managed to pull through. Julian Assange is the founder of Wikileaks and one of the early-day cypherpunks.
Other Cryptocurrency Quotes
Here is a longer list with the most interesting quotes we were able to discover.
19. Bitcoin is the beginning of something great: a currency without a government, something necessary and imperative.”
– Nassim Taleb, Author and Risk Analyst
20. Bitcoin, and the ideas behind it, will be a disrupter to the traditional notions of currency. In the end, currency will be better for it.
– Edmund Moy, 38th Director of the United States Mint
21. Right now Bitcoin feels like the Internet before the browser.
– Wences Casares
22. [Bitcoin] is a very exciting development, it might lead to a world currency. I think over the next decade it will grow to become one of the most important ways to pay for things and transfer assets.
– Kim Dotcom, CEO of MegaUpload
23. The Federal Reserve simply does not have authority to supervise or regulate Bitcoin in any way.
– Janet Yellen, former chair of the US Federal Reserve
24. EVERY informed person needs to know about Bitcoin because it might be one of the world’s most important developments.
– Leon Louw, two-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee
25. Bitcoin may be the TCP/IP of money.
– Paul Buchheit
Whereas most technologies tend to automate workers on the periphery doing menial tasks, blockchains automate away the center. Instead of putting the taxi driver out of a job, blockchain puts Uber out of a job and lets the taxi drivers work with the customer directly.
– Vitalik Buterin, co-founder of Ethereum
26. Cryptographical solutions might with great propriety be introduced into academies as the means of giving tone to the most important of the powers of the mind.
– Edgar Allan Poe
27. It’s gold for nerds.
– Stephan Colbert, Comedian
28. If [Bitcoin does] not [reach $500.000 by the end of 2020], I will eat my d*ck on national television.
– John McAfee – founder McAfee antivirus
29. I understand the political ramifications of [bitcoin] and I think that the government should stay out of them and they should be perfectly legal.
– Ron Paul, Republican Texas Congressman and former candidate for US President
30. I think the fact that within the bitcoin universe an algorithm replaces the functions of [the government] is actually pretty cool. I am a big fan of Bitcoin.
– Al Gore, 45th Vice President of the United States
Crypto Investment Quotes
31. Cryptocurrency is such a powerful concept that it can almost overturn governments
– Charles Lee, Creator of Litecoin
32. The reason we are all here is that the current financial system is outdated.
– Charlie Shrem – founder & CEO Bitinstant
38. There are 3 eras of currency: Commodity based, politically based, and now, math-based.
– Chris Dixon
55. At their core, cryptocurrencies are built around the principle of a universal, inviolable ledger, one that is made fully public and is constantly being verified by these high-powered computers, each essentially acting independently of the others.
– Paul Vigna
Famous Crypto Quotes By Investors
33. I love seeing new services constantly starting to accept Bitcoin. Bitcoin is really becoming “the currency of the Internet.” I’m most concerned by possible government reactions to Bitcoin. They can’t destroy Bitcoin, but they could really slow things down by making exchange much more difficult.
– Michael Marquardt
34. Bitcoin is Money Over Internet Protocol.
– Tony Gallippi
35. If Satoshi had released Bitcoin 10 yrs. earlier, 9/11 would never have happened.
– Max Keiser
36. One must acknowledge with cryptography no amount of violence will ever solve a math problem.
– Jacob Appelbaum
37. At its core, bitcoin is a smart currency, designed by very forward-thinking engineers. It eliminates the need for banks, gets rid of credit card fees, currency exchange fees, money transfer fees, and reduces the need for lawyers in transitions… all good things
– Peter Diamandis
39. When I first heard about Bitcoin, I thought it was impossible. How can you have a purely digital currency? Can’t I just copy your hard drive and have your bitcoins? I didn’t understand how that could be done, and then I looked into it and it was brilliant.
– Jeff Garzik
40. The governments of the world have spent hundreds and hundreds of trillions of dollars bailing out a decaying, dickensian, outmoded system called banking when the solution to the future of finance is peer-to-peer. It’s going to be alternative currencies like Bitcoin and it’s not actually going to be a banking system as we had before 2008.
– Patrick Young
41. We have elected to put our money and faith in a mathematical framework that is free of politics and human error.
– Tyler Winklevoss
42. Hey, obviously this is a very interesting time to be in Bitcoin center now, but if you guys want to argue over whether this is reality or not, one Bitcoin will feed over 40 homeless people in Pensacola center now. If you guys want proof Bitcoin is real, send them to me, I’ll cash them out and feed homeless people.
– Jason King
43. The bitcoin world is this new ecosystem where it doesn’t cost that much to start a new Bitcoin company, it doesn’t cost much to start owning Bitcoin either, and it is a much more efficient way of moving money around the world.
– Tim Draper
44. Bitcoin enables certain uses that are very unique. I think it offers possibilities that no other currency allows. For example the ability to spend a coin that only occurs when two separate parties agree to spend the coin; with a third party that couldn’t run away with the coin itself.
– Pieter Wuille
45. Bitcoin is Cash with Wings
– Charlie Shrem
46. It was the amateurs of cryptology who created the species. The professionals, who almost certainly surpassed them in cryptanalytic expertise, concentrated on down-to-earth problems of the systems that were then in use but are now outdated. The amateurs, unfettered to those realities, soared into the empyrean of theory.
– David Kahn
47. Bitcoin is the currency of resistance.
– Max Keiser
48. What can’t kill Bitcoin, makes it stronger.
– Mark Wittkowski
49. You should be taking this technology as seriously as you should have been taking the development of the Internet in the early 1990’s.
– Blythe Masters
50. I think the internet is going to be one of the major forces for reducing the role of government. The one thing that’s missing but that will soon be developed is a reliable e-cash.
51. What affected me most profoundly was the realization that the sciences of cryptography and mathematics are very elegant, pure sciences. I found that the ends for which these pure sciences are used are less elegant.
– Jim Sanborn
52. Cryptography is the essential building block of independence for organizations on the Internet, just like armies are the essential building blocks of states because otherwise one state just takes over another.
– Julian Assange
53. Bitcoin was created to serve a highly political intent, a free and uncensored network where all can participate with equal access.
– Amir Taaki
54. Lots of people working in cryptography have no deep concern with real application issues. They are trying to discover things clever enough to write papers about.
– Whitfield Diffie
56. Trusted third parties are security holes.
– Nick Szabo
57. This [Bitcoin] may be the purest form of democracy the world has ever known, and I — for one — am thrilled to be here to watch it unfold.
– Paco Ahlgren
58. Cryptography shifts the balance of power from those with a monopoly on violence to those who comprehend mathematics and security design.”
– Jacob Appelbaum
59. [Cryptourrencies] may hold long-term promise, particularly if the innovations promote a faster, more secure and more efficient payment system.
60. Online identity and reputation will be decentralized. We will own the data that belongs to us.
– William Mougayar
61. It just identifies how much money laundering there is being done in the world,” Fink said. “How much people are trying to move currencies from one place to another.
62. Gold is a great way to preserve wealth, but it is hard to move around. You do need some kind of alternative and Bitcoin fits the bill. I’m not surprised to see that happening.
– Jim Rickards
63. What we want is fully anonymous, ultra-low transaction cost, transferable units of exchange. If we get that going… the banks will become the obsolete dinosaurs they deserve to become.
– Adam Back
64. The blockchain is an incorruptible digital ledger of economic transactions that can be programmed to record not just financial transactions but virtually everything of value.
– Don & Alex Tapscott
65. [Bitcoin is] the biggest opportunity set we can think of over the next decade.
– Bob Grifeld
Hal Finney Quotes
Hal Finney is one of the most popular Bitcoin believers. He was mining Bitcoin since the early days and many suspect that he might even have been Satoshi Nakamoto himself.
66. Since we’re all rich with bitcoins … we ought to put some of this unearned wealth to good use.
67. Bitcoin seems to be a very promising idea. I like the idea of basing security on the assumption that the CPU power of honest participants outweighs that of the attacker. It is a very modern notion that exploits the power of the long tail.
68. The computer can be used as a tool to liberate and protect people, rather than to control them.
Satoshi Nakamoto Quotes
Satoshi Nakamoto is the person(s) that created Bitcoin. We only know Satoshi by their screen name and there is no further information on their identity. Here are some of their famous quotes.
69. Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
70. Sigh… why delete a wallet instead of moving it aside and keeping the old copy just in case? You should never delete a wallet.
71. The possibility to be anonymous or pseudonymous relies on you not revealing any identifying information about yourself in connection with the bitcoin addresses you use. If you post your bitcoin address on the web, then you’re associating that address and any transactions with it with the name you posted under. If you posted under a handle that you haven’t associated with your real identity, then you’re still pseudonymous.
For greater privacy, it’s best to use bitcoin addresses only once.
Andreas Antonopoulos Quotes
Andreas Antonopoulos is one of the most popular Bitcoin educators in the industry. His teachings have been shared with users all over the world and have played a significant role in mainstream adoption.
72. At the end of the day, Bitcoin is programmable money.
73. One of my favorite words is a French word: sousveillance. It is the opposite of surveillance. Surveillance means to look from above; sousveillance means to look from below.
74. Bitcoin experts argue that deflation is not bad per se. Rather, deflation is associated with a collapse in demand because that is the only example of deflation we have to study.
Less supportive quotes
Then, of course, there are those that are not so fond of Bitcoin and it’s peers. These people seem to have taken a position against the world of crypto and make sure everyone knows about it.
67. [Bitcoin is] worse than tulip bulbs
– Jamie Dimon, CEO of JP Morgan
68. Stay away from it. It’s a mirage, basically. In terms of cryptocurrencies, generally, I can say almost with certainty that they will come to a bad ending.
– Warren Buffett, legendary investor
69. Bitcoin, and the ideas behind it, will be a disrupter to the traditional notions of currency. In the end, currency will be better for it.
– Edmund Moy, 38th Director of the United States Mint
70. Bitcoin is evil.
– Paul Krugman, Nobel-prize winning economist
Based on the above, we can see that Bitcoin has left its footprint in the financial world. More and more people adopt it, praise it and invest in it.
All indications seem to point towards a positive road ahead.
Will cryptocurrencies come out of this turbulent period as a winner? We are pretty certain they will. Keep these cryptocurrency quotes in mind and use them as a guide for your future decisions in the market.